Fr. Michael Bernard Buckley, who was a native of the South Parish, Cork, was curate in Enniskeane from 1859 to 1863. In November, 1865, he preached the sermon in Skibbereen Cathedral to mark the dedication of its new pipe organ.
This is an extract from his sermon:-
“Hence the holy Church, the administratrix of the rites of worship on earth, has ever called music to her aid in proclaiming the glories of God. Through every age the voices of her children have resounded in her temples, uttering hymns and canticles of praise to Him : and where wealth has enabled men to add pomp and splendour to the simplicity of worship, they have introduced into the temple instruments made to imitate the human voice, with which the voice may beautifully blend, and an additional charm be given to the efficacy of sacred song.”