Ordination of Sean Crowley on June 1st

Our parish makes history next Saturday when Sean Crowley, Hollyhill, Balli- neen, will be ordained a priest in our parish church.

It is a special blessing for Sean, his family, relatives and friends, as well as for our parish and our diocese. Sean will serve as a priest in our diocese.

The Ordination by Bishop Buckley takes place during a concelebrated Mass. In some respects, the liturgy resembles a marriage ceremony — in that the Rite of Ordination happens between the Liturgy of the Word and the Liturgy of the Eucharist.

A few practical things:-

  • Parking in the church grounds will be reserved for Sean’s family and people with limited mobility. St. Mary’s car park will be open. Parking is also available in the car park between the church and the school and — weather permitting — in the field beside the school.
  • The seats in the front half of the church (200 places) will be reserved for Sean’s family, relatives and concelebrants. The main aisle will be seated on a first-come basis (200 places).
  • There will also be seating in a marquee (approx 120 chairs) beside the church where the ceremony will be relayed on TVs.
  • The ceremony will also be relayed on the internet so that anyone with access to the internet, in any part of the world, can tune in. The link is:-

from Cork Examiner, 22 August 1878

Article published in the Cork Examiner, 22 August 1878.

NEW ORGAN IN CLONAKILTY CONVENT.—An organ, erected by Bryceson Brothers and Ellis, of London, builders of the organ in SS. Peter and Paul’s, was formally opened on Tuesday, 20th inst., by Mr. T. J. Sullivan, St. Mary’s, Cork, who designed it. There was a profession of three nuns on the same day. His Lordship the Right Rev. Dr. Fitzgerald, of Ross, officiating. The organ consists of 2 rows of keys, 14 stops, 2½ octaves of pedals (Bourdon through), and 4 composition pedals. The action is reversed, the player facing the altar.

(erratum: there were 12 stops in the organ)

Professor T. J. O’Sullivan, the pipe organ’s designer

The 1878 Pipe Organ installed in Clonakilty Convent – and now installed in Enniskeane Church – was built in London but it was designed by a Cork music teacher and organist.
Professor T. J. O’Sullivan, taught music in the city and was the organist at St. Mary’s Dominican Church, Pope’s Quay, Cork.

  • 1856: The Trade and Professional section of Slater’s Cork City Directory lists T. J. Sullivan as a Professor of Music at 14, Bridge St., Cork (the short street between Patrick’s Bridge and McCurtain St.)
  • 1863: In the CORK (CITY) MERCANTILE DIRECTORY FOR 1863, he is listed at 68, South Mall as “Sullivan, T. J., prof. of music”.
  • 1870: The Slater’s Directory list his address as 74, Lower Glanmire Road (near the Railway Station).
  • 1871: He is listed as living at 6, Adelaide Terrace, Summerhill, Cork, and again listed there in 1875.
  • 1880, July 25th: The Freeman’s Journal notes that at the dedication of the Church of the Immaculate Conception, Clonakilty, “The music was supplied from the new organ gallery by the Choir of St. Mary’s, Cork, under leadership of Mr. T. J. O’Sullivan.”
  • 1884: Francis Guy’s Almanac lists the staff of the Cork School of Music, 51 Grand Parade, naming T. J. Sullivan as Professor of “Solfeggio and Sight Seeing”, and of “Voice Cultivation”
  • 1887: The ‘Irish American’ announces that the successor of “the late Mr. T. J. Sullivan, as organist and choirmaster of St. Mary’s” is about to arrive from Carlow — implying that Mr Sullivan must have died by then.