A lot is changing in response to concerns about the spread in our country of Covid-19. The Government announced measures on March 12th which include the closure of schools and colleges and a call to avoid unnecessary gatherings and all gatherings of more than 100 people. Full text here.
Ireland’s Catholic Bishops have issued directives later that also and Bishop Fintan Gavin has issued norms to the Diocese of Cork and Ross.
Bishop Fintan’s communique with parishes says:
“In light of this in the Diocese of Cork and Ross, all public Weekend Masses will be discontinued until further notice.
This also refers to Masses for St. Patrick’s Day.”
“Mass will continue to be live-streamed from the Cathedral at www.corkcathedral.ie. It is my hope to celebrate the 11.30 am Mass there each Sunday.”
For us in Enniskeane, the new reality means that:
- Saturday night and Sunday Masses will not be celebrated publicly at Ahiohill, Castletown Kinneigh or Enniskeane.
- St. Patrick’s Day Masses will not be celebrated publicly.
- Weekday Mass in Enniskeane will continue at 10am on Monday, Thursday and Friday of the coming week.
- Funerals, weddings, baptisms will continue as long as the attendance does not exceed 100 people.
- The Confirmation ceremony scheduled for March 26th is postponed.
Above all else, this is a time to watch out for one another. Don’t add to any fears or panic. Check in on neighbours and friends by phone. Know the essential steps for care advised by the HSE. And say a prayer that peace and health for all will be restored.
Feel free to pick up the phone to Fr Tom at any time. 087-9311472.